During the last few years, kefir has become an extremely popular product. And that’s amazing! Because now we know about the unbelievable nutritious value of this beverage and we can use it to our advantage.
Moreover, we have figured out that it is not only possible to make water or milk kefir at home, it is also easy and fun to produce it. In case you have the right equipment, of course.
And when it comes to the kefir making equipment, jars are, possibly, the most important part of the required kitchenware. You can use these containers to ferment your kefir and even to store it in your fridge later on.
But there are so many different options out there… How can you find out which jar is suitable for you?
Don’t worry, we have come up with a simple list of the 5 best jars for making kefir:
Make sure to read the description to the containers carefully. But before we proceed to the actual characteristics of the best jars for making kefir, let’s find out a little more about what size you should pick. What material should the jar be made of? And what are the other things that you have to pay some extra attention to when choosing a jar for your kefir?
Table of Contents
What Are the Suitable Materials for the Containers for Making Kefir?
It is important to understand that your milk or water kefir will be spending quite some time in the jar. And if the spoons and strainers can be made out of practically any material (because they interact with the actual kefir only for half a minute or so), the container has to be chosen wisely.
Plastic, for example, can be used for kefir making. However, even food-grade plastic is not recommended as it’s the kind of material that can easily get scratched. These scratches can become the perfect ‘home’ for various pathogenic bacteria that will ruin your kefir grains.
When it comes to metal, you can try using containers made out of stainless steel, but be very careful and make sure that the container is of amazing quality. All the other metals can react with the kefir and that can be dangerous not only for the grains but also for your own health.
Why crystal jars are not suitable for kefir making? The truth is that this material contains lead and it can easily end up in your water or milk kefir. And we don’t want that to happen, right?
You can use ceramic or porcelain containers for kefir making. Ensure that the glaze is food-grade and that there are no small pieces.
However, the best material out there for the containers for making kefir is, without a doubt, glass. It is a non-reactive material. In most of the cases, it is transparent, so you will be able to see what’s going on with your baby kefir. And last but not least, it’s a relatively cheap material that you can easily find on the market.
What Is the Perfect Size of a Jar for Making Kefir?
The jars come in absolutely different sizes. And sometimes it might be a bit difficult to choose the right one. Especially, if you are just getting started. The main question that you have to ask yourself is how much kefir you want to be consuming daily? Once you take the length of the fermentation cycle into consideration, it will be much easier to define the actual size of the jar.
- 5-gallon jars are usually perfect for beginners. Or for those who don’t need a lot of kefir. In case you want to be drinking about two cups of this nutritious beverage every day, then a half of a gallon is the ideal size for you. Another important thing is that such containers can easily fit in the fridge, in case you don’t want to be buying a separate vessel for this purpose.
- 1-gallon jars. With such a vessel, you will manage to get around two gallons of milk or water kefir every week. You can get even more if you are not going for the second fermentation. These containers are great, in case you have a small family that will be drinking kefir as well. However, you would have to invest in storage containers as such jars rarely fit someone’s fridge.
- 5-2-gallon jars. These lads are huge and you will be able to make a lot of kefir with such jars. Make sure that you really do need such amounts of this drink.
What Should You Look for in an Ideal Jar for Making Kefir?
Some say that an ideal jar should have a wide opening. However, this is true for the individuals who are into cultured vegetables or kombucha, for example. A wide opening is not that important for kefir. When picking the form of your jar, simply think about which one would be more convenient for you to use.
Make sure that your jar has a lid, in case you want to use it to store your milk or water kefir. If you’re into second fermenting, then bear in mind that the lid has to be sealed.
Finally, you have to be able to see what is going on inside with your baby kefir. Just to make sure that the beverage is even and not too thick. So, transparent glass is the best choice.
Review: 5 Best Jars for Making Kefir
1. 1 Gallon Glass Jar with Plastic Airtight Lid
- These gallon glass jars with lids wide mouth have a 4-1/3" (110mm) diameter opening.
- Use your 1 gallon jar as a gallon glass canning jar with lid.
- A one gallon mason jar is great as a gallon pickle jar. These are large mason jars wide mouth 128 oz
- This extra large mason jar is perfect to use as fermenting jars.
- This one gallon glass jar with lid is perfect to use as a kimchi jar.
This one feels a bit pricey, but let’s take a closer look at what you will be getting. A pack of four large glass jars with plastic airtight lids that are leak-proof, as well as four rubber bands and four sheets of muslin cloth. That’s a great kit, as you can let the culture breathe or close it with an airtight lid straight away.
By the way, the jars are hot resistant, so you can literally pour boiling water into them. Of course, the elements don’t contain any toxins and are BPA-free.
2. Bormioli Rocco Clean Fido Glass Storage Jar
- KEEP IT FRESH: This storage jar is essential for every kitchen! Th container has a hinged lid for airtight sealing so you can perfectly preserve any ingredient and keep it fresh for longer. The jar also has a leakproof rubber gasket on its wide mouth opening for maximum security so that no mess will be made!
- FOR EVERY USE: You can use this glass jar to store and preserve any kind of ingredient. Perfect for canning up to 2 Liter capacity. Use thecontainer to store spices, sugar, rice and herbs in the kitchen, or even to organize beads, arts and crafts supplies, cosmetics and anything around the house!
- UNIQUE STYLE: The clear jar has a stylish design that is essential for every home and business. Use the classic container to serve coffee, tea, cocktails or smoothies, create unique art, place fairy lights in it and turn it into a light fixture, or store and showcase any ingredient for a unique decoration.
- HASSLE-FREE WASHING: No need to waste time and effort hand washing or scrubbing your glass jar clean! This clear container is dishwasher safe without the metal clamp so you can just place it in the dishwasher and keep it clean and in perfect condition at all times with no hassle!
- ITALIAN QUALITY: Each and every one of our products is made in Italy with care and the finest quality materials. In fact, all the components are made in Italy, from the glass jar to the metal clamp and gasket. Out clear jars are BPA-free, strong and durable so you can always count on them for flawless results.
The jar has a wide mouth opening with a leak-proof rubber gasket and has a hinged lid that provides an airtight sealing. Fits 67.75 ounces. Once you remove the metal clamp, the jar will become dishwasher safe. The jar is BPA-free and made out of durable glass in Italy. The jar is transparent, so you will be able to keep an eye on your baby kefir. As an additional bonus, the container has a cute design and will look amazing in your kitchen.
3. Bormioli Rocco Fido Clear Jar
No products found.
This option is for the lads out there that are looking for a great big jar. The vessel can fit up to 169 ounces. The container has the same design as the previous one and is made in Italy. The wide mouth has a leak-proof rubber gasket that will help ensure that your kitchen is as clean as it can be. The jar has a hinged lid with an airtight sealing. Bear in mind that the actual thing weighs more than 3.5 pounds. Once you pour your water or milk kefir in there, the jar will become even heavier. So make sure that won’t be a problem for you.
4. Home Brew Ohio One Gallon Wide Mouth Jar
- Set of 2 (2 jars, 2 lids, 2 airlocks)
- Great for beer and wine
- Lids are grommetted to accommodate airlock
- Glass jars are USDA certified food grade glass
If you choose this option you will be getting a set of two glass jars, two lids, and two airlocks. The containers are made of certified food-grade glass. The vessel is durable yet extremely lightweight. The mouth is 4 inches wide, so you would experience absolutely no problems stirring your baby kefir or reaching the bottom to clean the container. It is also dishwasher safe. The jar does not absorb any flavors or smells. It is 10 inches tall.
Bear in mind that this glass is thin, so it needs to be handled with care.
5. Anchor Hocking Heritage Hill Glass Storage Jar
- Glass lid helps keep contaminants out of the container
- Wide opening allows for easy access to contents
- 1/2 gallon capacity can be used for various high-volume storage needs
- Popular in cafes, delis, or catering businesses
- Ideal for storing dry goods, candy, or coffee beans
This is a great option for beginners or for those who don’t need a lot of water or milk kefir. The capacity of the jar is only 0.5 gallons. The opening is wide and it is 8.25 inches tall, so you can fit the container in your fridge if you need to. The jar has a removable lid. Made in the USA. The container is lead-free.
However, bear in mind that the lid comes without a seal.
These were the 5 best jars for making kefir. Remember to choose the container wisely as the right jar will certainly become the most important part of your kefir making equipment.