Whenever we buy something healthy to eat, we usually think that food is organic. This word is used blatantly nowadays, even when that particular food is far from being organic. So, before we delve deeper into this topic, let’s define what this word means.
What is organic kefir? Organic kefir is basically kefir made with natural ingredients. So, completely natural, healthy, chemicals-free kefir. Organic kefir has even more health benefits than regular kefir.
With that in mind, let’s talk a bit about organic kefir and then we’ll give you some of the best organic kefir and starter kits that you can buy.
Table of Contents
Difference Between Organic Kefir and the Regular Kefir
We already know what kefir is. It’s a fermented beverage that possesses a lot of healthy nutrients for our body. Organic kefir has the same or even more benefits as your ordinary kefir. Now let’s talk about these natural ingredients.
Let’s take the water kefir for example. What natural ingredients can be found there? Aside from clean water, you can use organic kefir grains in order to produce organic water kefir. Unlike industrial kefir grains, organic ones don’t have any added chemicals. Although the chemicals aren’t as dangerous as many people think because our bodies have a certain way of digesting them. In some cases, these chemicals can cause some troubles, especially for those who are allergic to certain stuff. Also, don’t use plain white sugar, there are many different types of sugar that are actually organic.
As for the milk kefir, things here are pretty clear. Organic milk and organic kefir grains are what you want in order to have organic milk kefir. Once again, great milk kefir can’t be made without proper organic milk! Those who tasted organic and commercial milk, trust me they know the difference and to be honest, it’s night and day! Organic milk is slightly higher in fat but the fat from the dairy products isn’t going to make you fat or increase your cholesterol. There are several studies that prove this.
Health Benefits of Organic Kefir
So, what are the benefits of organic kefir? It depends mainly on the freshness of the ingredients. Buying organic kefir guarantees you that you get only the best and the freshest ingredients out there. Kefir grains, in some cases, can lose their nutritional value. This will happen on very rare occasions but it can happen if you don’t store your grains as you should. If we pair fresh milk with the fresh kefir grains, we are going to get the most nutritious kefir possible.
If you want really nutritious kefir and you aren’t on a diet, then MILK kefir is your best choice. Of course, the organic one. This kefir will help you detoxify your body, maintain your intestinal flora, as well as strengthen your immune system, thanks to the huge amount of vitamins and good bacteria.
The water kefir has slightly lower nutritional value. Water doesn’t have proteins, carbs, and fats. This means that it’s more diet-friendly and is more likely going to help you lose weight. Plus, the water kefir opens up possibilities for more exotic ingredients. You can add some fruit, leaves, etc. You can also do that with milk kefir but some people don’t like it.
You probably know that kefir can also be used externally. In case you use kefir that way, you will also be able to see the benefits from organic kefir. Since it doesn’t come with the aforementioned chemicals, it’s less likely to produce any kind of allergy to your skin. Pure, organic kefir is going to help you with dermal diseases such as psoriasis, acne, and eczema. Furthermore, it has useful antiseptic agents that will aid in wound recovery.
Where to Buy Organic Kefir? (Best Organic Kefir and Starter Kits)
Best Organic Starter Kits
1. VIVO Real Kefir Starter
- Make your own kefir at home
- 100 billion live and active bacteria per 100 g serving!
- Gluten Free & Non GMO.
- Ingredients: Kefir yeast, Lactococcus lactis, Streptococcus thermophilus, Leuconostoc mesenteroides, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium lactis, Lactobacillus delbrueckii ssp. Bulgaricus Lactococcus lactis ssp. lactis
The first one on our list is a milk kefir starter from VIVO. The reason we’ve chosen this one is that it allows you to build up to 30 liters of kefir! If you drink a liter of kefir a day, it can last you up to one month and all of that for a silly price. Needless to say that this is an organic kefir starter, boasting 100 billion live bacteria per 100g serving. As for the milk, VIVO says that you can use any milk you can find, including soy milk and lactose-free milk. If you’re able to find organic milk directly from the local farm, that’s even better. You can also see our choices on the best milk for making kefir.
2. Organic Water Kefir Grains – 2 Brewing Bags and ¼ Cup of Florida Sun Kefir
- ★ GENEROUS Portion Cup 33% MORE ★GENEROUS Portion Cup 33% MORE of PREMIUM FLORIDA SUN KEFIR WATER KEFIR GRAINS ★ NEWLY COLONIZED LIVE & ACTIVE ★ Never Dehydrated, Quality is Our Priority
- ★ GUARANTEED AUTHENTIC ★ Florida Sun Kefir PREMIUM Water Kefir Grains , are Harvested , Packed and Shipped Daily from Colonized Cultivation ★ 100% Sustainable Grains ★can be used over and over again with exponential growth, And will last a lifetime with proper care
- ★ EASY to Follow STEP BY STEP Laminated Instruction cards ★PLUS a Comprehensive online pdf file with numerous recipes, uses and lifetime care of your Florida Sun Kefir grains is available for download ★ BASIC RECOMMENDED INGREDIENTS NEEDED ★ Clean Water (preferably spring or mineral water), any cane sucrose Sugar of Choice , and a touch of molasses (optional but recommended)
- ★ CREATE YOUR OWN CUSTOM FLAVORED PROBIOTIC BEVERAGE ★ Endless Possibilities of flavorings limited by only your imagination ★ NATURES NATURAL RE-OCCURING SOURCE OF PROBIOTICS ★ The parent strain LACTOBACILLUS , up to 15 sub-strains of BILLIONS re-occurring probiotics ★ That’s a full range with 5X more probiotics than dairy / milk kefir
This one is for water kefir and it’s a damn good one. You are getting 2 brewing bags and a ¼ cup of Florida live kefir grains. The great thing about this product is that you get a complete, comprehensive PDF file with recipes, uses, and information needed to store your water kefir grains properly. They haven’t specified the amount of kefir you can make with this package but after all, it’s a matter of preference. Furthermore, the manufacturer mentions potassium, iron, and magnesium as some of the most valuable micro-nutrients found in this kefir.
Best Organic Kefir Product
1. Lifeway Pomegranate Acai Low-Fat Organic Kefir
Lifeway Pomegranate Organic Kefir is probably the most delicious one on our list. You are getting 32 ounces or 1 liter of high-delicious, quality, and organic kefir. Arguably, this is a bit higher in price but we also must take into an account that Lifeway is one of the best kefir manufacturers out there. Since this is milk kefir, we also have a quality amount of protein and combined with only 1% of fat, this is a great option for those on a diet who still worship the almighty milk kefir.
2. Lifeway Organic BioKefir Vanilla, Non-Fat Milk
Another day, another Lifeway kefir. This time, it’s great vanilla tasting kefir, that comes with a hefty price. This kefir is sold in a case of 24 bottles of 100ml each. This is equal to 2.4 liters of organic kefir. Kefir from Lifeway is meant for those who want pure, organic kefir and don’t mind paying a bit more for the quality ingredients. This amount of kefir will last you everywhere from 3 to 5 days, depending on your use.
3. Thirty-Two Degrees Vegan Coconut Water Kefir
For those who want pure kefir, without any flavors, aromas, and only with organic ingredients, here’s another amazing product called Thirty-Two kefir. This time, it’s a coconut water kefir with no additional flavor, if that’s what you like.
4. Raw Coconut Kefir
- This is for 6 bottles (12 fl oz per bottle) of Raw Coconut Kefir (approximately 72 servings).
- This product is a Raw Living Food that is Hydrating and full of Electrolytes. It is made with organic ingredients with no GMO's. It is a Vegan, Non-Dairy Support for Digestive and Immune Health* that is infused with a clinically studied probiotic that promotes digestion* and supports immune system* functions with over 1 billion cfu per serving (B. coagulans).
- Please see Product Details and Important Imformation below as well as the Images of the label and the close up of nutrition facts for more infomation including ingredients.
- This is a perishable product that ships COLD in a cooler with ice packs. Shipping is arranged to in such a manner that product should arrive to your home before the weekend, baring transportation issues. I CANNOT SHIP TO P.O.BOXES OR OUTSIDE THE LOWER 48 STATES!
- Orders placed after Monday noon CST, will ship the following week by Tuesday due to the need for product to arrive before the weekend. We will ship earlier if the destination will allow arrival before the weekend.
The company by the name of Original Living Coconut is all about those coconuts, which they introduced in their kefir. You have approximately 72 servings here, which equates to 6 bottles of 12 oz each. Let’s say you take 2 servings of kefir a day, and you already have more than a full month of kefir! Plus, it’s organic, it’s GMO-free, vegan, and dairy-free. You can’t complain about this deal!
5. Rhythm Health Raw Mango & Passionfruit Dairy-Free Kefir
No products found.
Finally, we have drop-dead delicious kefir from Rhythm Health. It’s coconut kefir with a spice of raw mango and Passionfruit that leaves a wonderful aftertaste when you try it. This bottle of kefir is around 0.27lbs or 126 grams. It’s really not that expensive, especially when you taste how delicious it is.
6. Thirty-Two Degrees Organic Vegan Coconut Water Kefir, Flavored
This one is surprisingly delicious but it is a hit or miss for some people (some think it needs more taste). You are getting a bottle of 59ml but what fascinates us the most, is the amazing choice of flavors that the company offers. We have blueberry + pomegranate, lime, and mango + pineapple. All of these flavors are simply amazing!
Organic kefir – is it worth your money? If you want pure and chemicals-free kefir, it definitely is. Compared to the ordinary, non-organic kefir, it offers a slight advantage in terms of healthiness and the lack of chemicals. But, beware that organic kefir costs slightly more than the non-organic one. This can back down some of the potential buyers with a slightly lower budget.
If you don’t have more money to spend on organic kefir you can always buy kefir grains and make it yourself. Either way, kefir is so healthy that you won’t need to think too much about it. Just have your servings every day and enjoy its multiple health benefits.