There are plenty of reasons why we love water kefir. It’s incredibly healthy, tasty and can be easily made at home! What else could you possibly ask for? Moreover, if you follow the instructions and take good care of your water kefir grains, then you will end up having an endless supply of this nutritious drink for the rest of your life.
Seriously. It’s just too good to be true.
You might have already tried making water kefir. Or you have once heard that it’s incredibly simple to make this delicious drink all on your own at home. All you would need is some water, sugar, and water kefir grains…
But the truth is that things are not as simple. Just like a true gardener, you would have to try and do everything to ensure that your ‘babies’ thrive and multiply. And this is exactly when the mineral drops will come in handy!
Mineral drops will help you take your water kefir making skills to the next level!
Want to find out what are the best mineral drops for making water kefir available on the market today? Here is our short list if you are in a hurry.
4 Best Mineral Drops for Making Water Kefir
1. ConcenTrace Trace Mineral Drops
- Trace Minerals - Bundle with ConcenTrace Trace Mineral Drops - 8 oz + ConcenTrace Mineral 0.5oz
- Concentrace Trace Minerals PH Balancing Trace Minerals Liquid
- Food Grade
- From Utah's Great Salt Lake
- Over 72 naturally occurring trace minerals
These drops have over 70 naturally occurring trace minerals in them. Delivered to you from the waters of Utah’s Great Salt Lake. You can easily use the drops as a dietary supplement. But the mineral drops will do an amazing job for your water kefir grains as well.
The supplement is 100% vegan and gluten-free. You will be getting an 8 oz bottle together with a small one (0.5 Oz). When it comes to adding the mineral drops to your water kefir, make sure to take your time. You might even want to try and add one single drop to the first batch and see if it makes a difference. In case the grains are still inactive, you can try increasing the dosage. The trick here is that no one will be able to tell you exactly how many mineral drops you have to add as it depends on tons of factors.
So, make sure to keep an eye on your water kefir grains and monitor all the changes.
2. pH Thrive Alkaline Mineral Drops
- Helps promote pH Balance in the Body*
- Helps maintain Healthy Energy levels*
- Ionic Minerals for Superior Absorption*
- Natural Source of Electrolyte Support*
- Helps Symptoms of Heartburn & Acid Indigestion*
The instructions say that you have to use 4 drops of the product in every 8-10 ounces of normal water to turn it into a premium alkaline mineral water. However, remember that your water kefir grains might need a different dosage.
This is an all-natural supplement that regulates the pH balance, helps minimize the acidic effects of any beverages and simultaneously is a great source of minerals. The product contains over 70 ionic trace minerals that can be found in seawater. For example, selenium, copper, calcium, iodine, chromium, phosphorus, iron and many more.
For the price, you will be getting 2 ounces on mineral drops. It should be enough to turn 24 gallons of water into a magical potion.
3. Fine Ground Celtic Sea Salt
- AUTHENTIC, UNPROCESSED – Celtic Sea Salt is authentic, unprocessed whole salt from pristine coastal regions. With a subtle flavor and delicious taste, it’s a great all-purpose salt to keep on hand!
- VERSATILE – Our 16 oz. resealable bag of fine ground Celtic sea salt can be used in a variety of ways – from an all-purpose shaker salt for the table to a recipe ingredient, for baking, pickling and much more. It’s a must-have for your pantry.
- NUTRITIOUS – Our classic salt is more nutritious than table salt, because it retains the natural balance and spectrum of essential minerals, supplying the body with over 74 vital trace minerals & elements. A sprinkle of this sea salt is a healthy addition to any dish or recipe.
- NO ADDITIVES – Our fine ground sea salt is completely all natural and has no additives. It’s not processed in any way beyond low temperature drying and grinding. This salt is also Non-GMO Verified, certified Kosher, lower in sodium than table salt and paleo-friendly.
- ORIGINAL, MOST TRUSTED BRAND – Celtic Sea Salt is the original and most trust brand of sea salt, and is referenced in more culinary and nutritional books and journals than any other salt in the world. Since 1976, we’ve grown into a brand that has been recommended by doctors, nutritionists and chefs alike.
Mineral drops are not the only source of elements that can be used in water kefir. Sea salt is a great supplement as well. Of course, you would have to make sure that the crystals dissolve, but the results are certainly worth the extra time.
The sea water for this salt is collected in clay-lined ponds in France. The salt minerals are later on harvested by hand with special wooden tools. What you are getting is an authentic and unprocessed product. The brand has been on the market since 1976 and at the moment is one of the most trusted sea salt sellers in the world.
What is important for anyone who wants to make water kefir is that this salt is rich and balanced in minerals. You are getting magnesium, sodium chloride, iron, potassium calcium and a lot of other incredible elements. Store the salt in a dry place with a loose fitting lid. The container can be made out of glass, wood or ceramic.
4. Biotics Research Muti-Mins
- Multi-Mins provides a balanced source of mineral chelates and whole food, phytochemically bound trace minerals, combined with the antioxidant enzymes SOD and catalase
- Biotics Research
This is the priciest option. Bear in mind that the product comes in tablets, so you would have to crush them and then add to the water (in case you are planning on adding a little less than one whole tablet).
Biotics is a major company that ensures that all its products undergo the necessary tests. Make sure to get the minerals from the right company to have a guarantee that they are of the highest quality.
This particular product is a source of mineral chelates and phytochemically bound trace minerals combined with enzymes. If the tablets don’t exactly work for your water kefir or if you decide to terminate the production of this nutritious drink, you can always use the product as a mineral supplement for yourself.
But what exactly should you do with these mineral drops and salt? When should you add them? And what should the quantities be?
To find the answers to all of these questions, stay with us for a few minutes longer!
Why Are Minerals So Important for the Water Kefir Production?
Mineral drops contain various elements that can become a natural source of electrolyte support, they help to maintain healthy energy levels, promote pH balance and a lot of other cool stuff.
But why on Earth would your water kefir need all these things?
You see, water kefir is a product made by living organisms. Water kefir grains are usually a mixture of yeast and ‘good’ bacteria. And if you want your beverage to have all the healthy properties, then you have to make sure that the grains stay alive. Otherwise, they simply won’t be able to ferment the drink and make it healthy.
In order to multiply, water kefir grains need two things:
- Firstly, warm temperature. That’s why all the instructions tell you to place the glass jar with your future water kefir in a warm place. By the way, you may notice in the course of time that your kefir turns out to be much better during the warmer months.
- Secondly, grains need plenty of minerals. Basically, it’s the food for the bacteria. And if the little fellows have nothing to eat, then they won’t be able to multiply and might even die.
How Can You Add the Required Minerals?
So, now that we know that minerals are incredibly important for your future batches of water kefir, how can we add these things to our drink?
Basically, besides the actual grains, your kefir would need only two ingredients, water, and sugar. The great news is that you might be able to give enough minerals to your grains with the help of these two ingredients. Spring water or well water, for example, is truly rich in these elements. Before choosing the sugar for your water kefir, always read the label. You should choose plain sugar without any additives that can potentially harm your water kefir grains.
However, bear in mind that refined white sugar has no minerals. Brown sugar, in its turn, is high in minerals. So, you might want to try and use this one for your water kefir. Some experts also use eggshells. Simply wash the shell and place it inside your water kefir. Don’t be surprised, if the shell fully disintegrates after the first fermentation.
However, we have to admit that sometimes using mineral drops is the easiest way to ensure that your water kefir grains get enough vital elements. Bear in mind that more does not necessarily mean better. Too many minerals are also bad for your kefir and might kill the grains. So, try experimenting with tiny quantities of mineral drops.
If you fail to activate your water kefir grains or you feel like the little guys stopped multiplying, you might want to consider adding a mineral supplement. It can be used in the form of drops, salt or even tablets.
We hope that thanks to our list of 4 best mineral drops for making water kefir you will be able to find the product that is perfect for you and your water kefir grains. Remember to be careful with the dosage and take your time.