Everyone knows some of the health benefits of the kefir. But, did you know that kefir benefits skin and hair, too?
Our ancestors have known about these good and helpful benefits of kefir, and they were skillfully using it to enhance their youth. Kefir and kefir masks are used for black spots on the face, acne, and spots. The kefir grains are a beauty elixir and they are healthy competition for expensive products that cost way more than these grains. Its hydrates, rejuvenates, protects the skin and it has an anti-inflammatory effect.
A natural cocktail of useful microelements and vitamins are contained in the kefir grains. Its name comes from the word ”kejif” and it means “a beautiful feeling”. Consumption of kefir in every way really provides a great pleasure. Its composition has a full spectrum of the needed ingredients: Vitamins A, C, E, B1, B6, B12, B2, biotin (vitamin H), niacin (PP vitamin).
Now let’s explore in detail how kefir heals and rejuvenates skin.
Basic Useful Properties of Kefir
The main and the most valuable property of kefir is rejuvenation. These useful grains beat the test of time and proved its unbelievable revitalization. Another characteristic feature of kefir is its nutritional quality. Such a cocktail of nutrients provides an enormous effect on the skin.
An anti-inflammatory effect is the other important feature of kefir. These grains will soften the skin and they also relieve inflammation. This is very good for your skin if you suffer from acne or any other skin disease.
For cracked and a dry skin you need extra moisture in order to repair it. Kefir does precisely this, it provides amazing hydration of the skin, and it completes this task effortlessly. Kefir also has a protective effect. Kefir intensifies the protective features of the skin.
So we talked about the health benefits of kefir, now we will talk about how to apply directly kefir to the skin in order to fight against acne, irregularities, and black spots.
Kefir for Hands and Nails
Due to a large number of nutrients it contains (Biotin, Vitamin B12, Magnesium, Calcium, Vitamin K2, Probiotics, Folate, and Enzymes), kefir is excellent for nail care and skin care that is prone to cracking and drying during cold weather.
The procedure starts with putting your hands in a bowl of kefir, enough to dip your whole hands (or at least one), and keeping them in it for 10 minutes. It is recommended to repeat the treatment every day. As a result after two or three treatments, you will notice that your nails are stronger and the skin is smooth and gentle.
Kefir peeling is very easy to make, and it has many potential skin benefits. It removes dirt, dead cells, and nourishes the skin. Mix a little tiny sea salt with kefir and that’s it. You get a scrub for the body, which can be used for the face. Additional pilling mask is the mask with sodium bicarbonate and kefir. To make this home-made peel, mix half a cup of kefir with a spoon of baking soda. Apply it on the whole face, and in the area of the nose, rub it harder. Rinse well.
Kefir Face Masks
1. Apply the kefir on the whole face and wait for it to absorb. Repeat the procedure until you see that the skin has stopped absorbing kefir. That means the skin is sufficiently hydrated. After 10 minutes rinse your face with lukewarm water.
2. Another face mask is the mask with oat flakes. Put the oat flakes in a blender/mixer and you’ll get oatmeal. Mix it with kefir, and apply the mask on your whole face and neck. Hold it on the skin for fifteen minutes, and later rinse it with warm water. This kind of mask cleans the skin well.
3. There is one more cleaning mask that is prepared in this way. Add egg yolk, a quarter cup of kefir, a spoon of vodka and mix it all with some lemon juice. The mask will perfectly whiten the skin on the face and the neck.
4. Mix an egg white, three teaspoons of kefir and a spoon of honey. Use a thin layer of this homemade mask, avoiding the skin around the eyes and lips. Hold it for fifteen to twenty minutes.
5. An amazing mask, which is good to prepare in the summer is the mask with cucumber and kefir. Purify the cucumber on a small grater and mix it with kefir. Keep the mask on the face (neck) from fifteen to twenty minutes. This is a very popular folk remedy with kefir for bleaching the skin.
When your dark circles are especially highlighted, you can mix 1 teaspoon of lemon and 2 teaspoons of kefir. Then soak up your undercuts with this mixture. Lemon helps in their whitening, and with skin hydration. Rinse with lukewarm water when your skin absorbs everything and after you will look much fresher.
Kefir Hair Mask
1. Once a week treat your hair with a kefir hair mask. Mix half a cup of kefir with two tablespoons of olive oil and apply on a dry hair. Keep the pack for half an hour to an hour, then rinse well and wash your hair with shampoo.
2. For hair loss, after each wash, pour a glass of kefir on the head and rub it in the hair by massaging the head for 5-10 minutes. After that, wash your hair with a neutral shampoo.
Kefir Mask for Dry and Normal Skin (Neck and Face)
1. There is a popular recipe for dry skin. Mix one egg yolk, a teaspoon of oil and two tablespoons of kefir. Put it on the skin with a thin layer. Later wash it after twenty minutes.
2. The next mask is suitable for any skin type. Mix one teaspoon of kefir, cottage cheese, freshly squeezed carrot juice, and olive oil. Apply it on the skin for fifteen minutes and rinse with water.
Adding some natural vegetable oil in a kefir homemade mask will not only heal the skin on your face but it will also nourish it. Almost any type of oil can be added: sunflower, olive, linseed, beet, etc.
Kefir Mask for Tired Skin
Mix 2 tablespoons of kefir with a spoon of simple yeast. This mask is perfect for tired skin.
How to Improve the Effectiveness of Kefir Masks:
We will give you some useful tips to increase the effectiveness of kefir masks:
- For oily skin, kefir with low-fat content is used, for a dry skin it needs have more fat in it.
- Before applying the mask, the skin needs to be cleaned to improve the effect.
- If you want to intensify the action of the mask, it needs to be washed with warm domestic milk. Allow the milk to dry on the face.
- If you add a banana, lemon, kiwi or other fruits to the mask, the effect of the mask will increase.
Always be careful when using these or any kind of face masks. The only side effect of using kefir mask is a possible allergic reaction to kefir. These allergic reactions are nothing to be afraid of and if you notice any allergic symptoms just stop using kefir and consult with your doctor.
Hope our article and our tips will help you cure acne problems or improve the state of your skin. If we helped you, please share our article with others so they can experience the same skin benefits as you have!